- Safety Alerts
- Vehicle Safety
The Bloomingdale Police Department encourages everyone to consider the following information whether taking a trip by car or for everyday vehicle use.
- Always close windows and lock doors when your vehicle is unattended.
- Do not leave valuable items in vehicle.
- If you need to store items in your vehicle, place them in the trunk or out of sight.
- Check the weather and the routes for your destination. Remember when it is construction season.
- Maintain / perform regular oil changes and have at least half a tank of gas in your car. Full tanks are even better to keep the air conditioning going and it helps if you unexpectedly become stranded.
- Check your tires for tread wear.
- Have a certified automotive technician (mechanic) complete a check, which should include:
- Ignition System
- Windshield Fluid
- Keep the listed items in your vehicle:
- Booster Cables
- Bottled Water
- Extra Batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Non-perishable Food
- Road Maps
- Small Tool Kit
- Small Shovel Or Broom
- Small Bag of Sand to Use as Traction Under Your Tires
- Waterproof Matches
- Construction vehicles are big, heavy pieces of equipment that enter and exit off the roadways. They may need more time to accelerate and space on the roadway lanes, so please be cautious and considerate as you travel in construction areas.
- If possible, please stay in your vehicle.
- If someone other than a law enforcement officer approaches the car, talk through the window or from a distance (if outside of the vehicle) and ask them to contact the local and/or state police department or towing service.
- Only leave the car if help is visible within view.
- Display a brightly colored cloth or other emergency sign to indicate trouble.
Image does not exist