Yard & Organic Waste Collection
Yard & Organic waste collection starts on the 1st collection day in April and ends on the last collection week in November. The rate is based on a pay-per-bag sticker basis, or under a yard waste cart rental service.
Yard and Organic waste consisting of grass clippings, twigs, leaves, plant material, and acceptable food scraps must be set out at the curb prior to 6 a.m. on the day of collection
Yard & Organic waste can be collected in two (2) ways:
- Yard & Organic Waste Cart Subscription: Customers may subscribe with the Contractor for a weekly yard and organic waste cart collection service during the collection service season. Cart sizes and prices are as presented in Appendix 1.
- Yard & Organic Waste Sticker: Customers can purchase a yard and organic waste sticker and visibly affix the sticker to the yard waste that they set out in the following manner:
- Biodegradable Kraft paper bags weighing no more than 50 pounds, with sticker attached.
- Brush can be set out in bundles no longer than 4 feet in lengths and weighing no more than 50 pounds, with the largest branch no more than 4 inches in diameter, with a sticker attached. The village also picks up brush and branches 3 times per year at no charge, please refer to Residential Branch Collection below.
- Clearly marked container with sticker attached, weighing no more than 50 lbs.
Food Scraps: (e.g., Fruits, Vegetables, Rice, Beans, Pasta, Bread, Baked Goods, Grains, Eggshells, Coffee Grounds and Tea Leaves) can be placed in the yard waste bags and carts. Meats and other food waste is not accepted.
Collection Rates & Sticker Purchase Locations
Yard & Organic Waste Stickers are available for purchase at a cost of $2.80 per sticker (2022 cost) at the following locations:
- Butera Foods - 550 West Lake Street
- Caputo's Fresh Market - 166 East Lake Street
- Jewel Food Store - 2164 South Bloomingdale Road, Glendale Heights
- Lens Ace Hardware - 272 West Lake Street
- Meijer Supermarket - 130 South Gary Avenue
- Village of Bloomingdale - 201 South Bloomingdale Road
Yard & Organic Waste Carts available at a flat rate cost per collection season of :
- 35 Gallon Yard Waste Cart: $199
- 65 Gallon Yard Waste Cart: $279
- 95 Gallon Yard Waste Cart: $299
Free branch collection is available to single family detached residences 3 times a year, in the spring, summer and fall.
Republic Services, Inc., the village's refuse hauler, will pick up live Christmas trees on regularly scheduled refuse pick up days, for 4 weeks following the Christmas holiday.
Bloomingdale encourages all residents to compost their grass clippings and leaves.